Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Fennel, ugh

I don't like fennel. Which, surprisingly, marks a first for this experiment. Up until now, I haven't run across any vegetables I don't actually like. I've met a couple that I didn't know very well, and at least one complete stranger, but this is the first time I've come across a vegetable that I actively dislike. Fennel. (I narrow my eyes and glare.) Fennel.


This is fennel. Or, more accurately,


This is the part of the fennel that people actually eat. I've yet to be convinced that any of them like it. You see, fennel tastes a lot like black licorice, which is, naturally, disgusting. I mean who on earth actually likes the taste of black licorice? (In case you're wondering, I also vehemently dislike anything having to do with anise, or with actual licorice, which I only found out today is a completely unrelated plant as well.)

Brian promised to find a fennel recipe that I would be able to tolerate. (He did not promise I'd like it.) So in the interest of trying new things, as well as the quest to use all of our vegetables, I gave his Roasted Fennel a shot:




The verdict? Cooked this way, I can actually enjoy fennel. It's like that weird uncle you don't really like, but who is pretty funny once a year at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't seek it out, but roasting it in large pieces does, as with most bulby vegetables, mellow the flavor quite a bit. And the spicy seasonings were a tasty distraction. I imagine the spice would, if the flavor of fennel were palatable, complement it nicely.

Brian, who has no prejudice against fennel, declared it a "solid fennel recipe." Verbose, that one.

So if you must eat fennel, try it this way:

Roasted Fennel:

Ingredients:
Fennel
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan Cheese
Crushed red pepper flakes

Steps:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut fennel into eighths or quarters, depending on size of bulb
3. Lightly oil a baking sheet (with the olive oil)
4. Place fennel pieces on sheet, drizzle oil on top, sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, red pepper, and Parmesan cheese
5. Bake until the fennel is soft (about 20 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment